Friday, July 08, 2005

Mountain Challenge

Well posting has been slow as vacation and renovations have been occupying my time. It seems like this year all the trails have opened up pretty early. This has to be the earliest I have heard of people doing the Carthew Summit. In the past, it hasn't been to passable until the second week of July

Of course all this good weather means that the Mountain Challenge had better get figured out pretty soon. Since the peak baggers website has been out of action this week, and no consensus was reached on the location of the hike, I figured I would do an anti-commemoration route. As such I would propose an anti peak hike (or lake to lake hike if you prefer). The route would start at Goat Haunt, hike up to Hole in the Wall via Lake Francis, then hit Kintla lake. From here one would leave the trail, head up a slide run to get to the Nunatak behind Wall lake. At the foot of the Nunatak is the prettiest little pond (lake) I have ever seen. You can also find the trail that leads over to Bennet Pass and down to Wall Lake. I would guess the distance is about 45km. I did it quite a few years back and thought it spectacular.

Of course if this seems a bit much, the Tornado ridge walk seems like something a lot of people would love.

3 Comments:

At 7/11/2005 10:41:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the Stanley Mitchell Hut this weekend, talking to a guy who works for Glacier Nat'l Park. He was telling me that Homeland Security is really stepping up the patrols of the border. He says they are using military equipment and concentrating on illegal crossings around Cameron Lake and Kintla Creek. He went on to say that the people who are getting caught are going to jail, so he cautioned me on all of my crossings.

With that said, he gave me lots of good info on accessing great technical climbs like the Citadel Spires (one is unclimbed) and Miche Wabum. He also gave me some great scramble ideas around Logan Pass. Now, I just need to track this guy down so I can write down the info he was telling me at the hut.
 

Posted by Dave Stephens

 
At 7/11/2005 10:19:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am wondering about alpine rock routes around Waterton and Drywood. I have recently climbed some easier routes 5.4-5.6 in Banff and Kananaskis and I am looking for the same kind of routes down here (some exposure and some roped pitches). The east ridge of yarrow might be a little out of my league. The whole leading on gear experience is new this summer. Any suggestions would be great. Also has anyone climbed the south ridge of edith? For a beginners route I was pretty choked about the rock quality and the gear placements that I could find. The climbing was easy, is that the reason for it being a popular beginners route?
 

Posted by Nathan Shenton

 
At 7/13/2005 09:04:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There aren't too many that require gear. The knife edge on Bear's Hump is quite popular. It would be similar to Edith. The rock is different though. It may not be too solid, but at least it is predictable. The exposure is similar, but you get a break between things. The route finding is much easier. You can also avoid the second harder and more fun kinfe edge.

If you are looking for a harder route, try the nose of Alderson between Bertha and Alderson Lake. It should be around 5.6 to 5.8 or so. I would check the archives, for the link, but am having trouble with blogger. I don't think yarrow would be a good choice. Not much else here for technical alpine. The best thing to do would be to pick up a copy of Edward's guide to Glacier. There are lots of 3rd and 4th class routes.

I think the pass should have some more routes, but I don't know about them. Hope this helps 

Posted by chris g

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Email me